Monday, September 24, 2012

Casting a Batman Mask

So this week I started something very scary.  If you haven't guessed by now I'm casting my own latex batman mask.  It's a mix of several versions.  It most closely resembles the Batman: Dead End mask I suppose.  As we know latex is usually cast in a plaster mold.  I'm not a fan of plaster molds.  They tend to lock up and do other awful things.  I also don't really have the proper setup to be working on this, but here I go.  First I covered the mouth and eyes to remove undercuts.

Next I put up a clay wall at my parting line

Reinforced.... it fell down 3 times while I was putting plaster one.... not great.

Plaster and burlap.  Removed the wall.  Surprisingly clean for the most part, but there will be a lot of cleanup later.  The cheap water clay I used for the wall was very tacky. It also turned out to be a very wobbly parting line.

tah daaahh....
Next week I hope I will have something more interesting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment